Sunday, December 12, 2021

Car Feels Back Heavy

 



I saw some article describing my town, trying to pitch it to urbanites as an up and coming hood, I believe they compared it to Bushwick, they referred to one strip of shops and suggested vistors shop-like-locals.  You might also want to visit Lowes.  That’s where I went today.

 

I wanted bird seed.  I’ve got this new feeder thing up and it has a bunch of receptacles that are calling out for a top up.  In the basement there is another tub I’m supposed to keep full of salt tablets to soften the water.  They’re forty pounds each and after you schlepp five or six down to the basement and fill the thing up you set and forget until love overdue you fill it back up.  My wife wants a bag of grass seed.  After you park you find yourself a big dolly and start slamming bags down pushing around the poundage.




My wife noted that you don’t often see the same help at Lowes.  I can think of a few peer level guys there who are rightly proud of the their mastery of warehouse.  I needed a piece of wire two months back and the guy couldn’t have been more thoughtful, clipping off the pieces I needed and comping me with it.  But the younger folk?  Yeah.  She’s probably  right.  This guy who went out and swiped my salt in the foyer where they keep such things, he seems to have the process down.  But I would say this is our first encounter.  I suppose starting at Lowes isn’t much better than minimum wage.  I’ve had Lowe’s like jobs when I was a teen and I was paid minimum wage and they lasted months at a time.




The car feels back heavy driving out the lot, curving along towards the stop sign and out into traffic.  And back home I take the forty pound bags down the narrow stairs to the basement, two at a time.  Cutting them open with a razor I’ve brought along the salty dust rises up out of the tub that fills more slowly than you’d expect.  Soft water.




Wednesday, 03/24/21





No comments:

Post a Comment