Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Pointed Out Numerous Flaws




At dinner I checked with my daughter to see if she knew the difference between gorilla and guerrilla war.  Certainly, she knew the big hairy ape and was not familiar with this particular approach to warfare.  I knew the word in Chinese and asked if she had learned that in her Chinese, Chinese middle school.  She couldn’t place “people’s war” either.  I used the example of the Eighth Route Army and suggested the American Revolutionaries fought the same kind of war against the British marching as they did, in straight lines of red. 

 

Anchoring the concept, I suggested I’d done some guerrilla planting today.  Not the ordered, thoughtful kind of planting her mother does, but rather a stick-and-move approach that goes around niceties of clearing land and tilling soil and bothering to follow up.  I want a wild sort of pumpkin patch with gourds of various sorts hanging about in the late autumn waiting to get picked.  It’s near the trail, people will grab a few, perhaps, fine.  Many will remain and rot and get eaten and then next year the animals will shit-out the seeds and do the fertilizing work for me.




I have twenty packs of pumpkin seeds, from those colorful seed pouches on my desk.  Took two today on the walk down to my bike ride. Gentlemanly, always, I asked my wife if she wanted to come along.  She had opinions.  She pointed out numerous flaws in my plan. But for me this was simply an experiment.  And with little regard to the instructions written in .4 font on the back I shoved the trowel into the earth about five or six inches down, wiggled it back and forth and dropped a seed down into the hole, pulled out the trowel and did my best to cover the dirt back up.  A foot and half further along a straight path to the right I did it again and so for about twenty-five feet for so and then moving west by two feet I made my way back, repeating thrust-and-drop back towards where I had left a pail of dirt I’d brought.  However, I quickly decided additional soil was irrelevant for guerrilla planting.


 

Once again, my wife charged by, down below, marching the deer off of the property.  Later she couldn’t find the car key and she suggested that she need to go and search around in the same area where she’d just been stomping and whooping.  I looked when I walked by, and half expected it to be there in the moss before it gives way to the trail head.  I considered, of course, those relentless spammers who call and try to frighten you to purchase lost-electric-key insurance.  Think of the replacement costs!  Immature, but I was rather glad that I wasn’t the one that lost it.

 

On my bike ride, south towards Gardiner I kept bumping into people, every time I thought I was truly alone.  I didn’t see the key as I retraced my way, back up towards the house. 




Tuesday, 04/06/21



No comments:

Post a Comment