Sunday, December 5, 2021

Functional Dread of Evil

 



Keeping up with my daughter's reading in two classes, as best I can.  My older one is taking a course on the history of psychology, which has been remarkable to tag along for.  She’s also in a course on genocide which requires a different descriptor to explain.  I read through Primo Levi’s “Survival in Auschwitz” which is numbingly dreadful reminding me of “Kolyma Tales” by Varlam Shalamov.  And though he does survive, the question surfaces; what happened to everyone else?

 

I decided to begin and then make my way through the next assignment, Peter Wiess “The Investigation” which unsparingly lays out the functional dread of evil, people who did their jobs, took orders, lost themselves and sublimated their humanity, committing eternal crime against so many good people. 




Snowed again most of the day.  Towards the afternoon I went out to ski and I had absolutely no ability to slide.  I reckoned it was the quality of the snow.  I went about a quarter of a mile and called it a day.  I couldn’t slide at all and it was like walking with skis on.  Back home I noticed that a thick covering of snow had caked up under my skis.  Next time I have to remember to check for that.  This explains why it felt fine at first and then became stuck. 



 

Pizza.  Pizza Friday around here.  I worked till I couldn’t work anymore and called Rocco’s.  We haven’t tried them before.  They are next to the movie theatre there in the mall with Tops and Bank of America.  I ordered a slice of “grandmas” which everyone around here seems to have, a slice of Sicilian and a veggie pie.  Oh, I got two calzones as well.  Back home we feasted.  This is an improvement on the Friday break of fast, complete with diet coke, on-the-rocks. 

 

 

 

Friday, 02/19/21




No comments:

Post a Comment